Some of you may not know this but I have felt the earth move quite a bit, being a native Californian. When I was a youngster I had the crazy adventure of going through quite a few of these earthquakes. I remember one summer in particular, Cal tech could not tell us if it was a pre-shock, and aftershock, they had no clue. The whole summer seemed filled to the brim, I have even had the thrill of going through an 8 pointer. Which is Hugh in earthquake standards.
I remember going to sleep each night with a knot in my stomach, wondering if that night would be the big one. At the same time they were exciting and quite the story to tell.
Basically it sounds like a train is going through your house, it is so loud and I mean LOUD. It is such a shock to hear. I would jump up and hear my mom yelling its the big one. SO funny, she would yell it with almost everyone. I would jump up and stand at my door frame. Then we would all quickly go outside.
When we went through the eight pointer we went outside only to see our pool just about to co lapse. The water was tossing so high we backed off thinking it was a goner. Thankfully the pool survived. Which means we could survive the rest of the summer's heat. We sat outside for a couple hours, I was sitting in our back door jam when we had an aftershock and was startled to see my entire back wall of my house curving like a snake.
It was so humbling, the power of the earth. Made me realize how small we were, here was my house, sturdy, had been their my entire life. The earth could move and take it down in no time. Just changed my outlook a little.
Anyways, my sister Rachael and I discovered the secrets to predicting these earthquakes. We decided the almost all of the earthquakes happened around five in the morning. The day before all of our cats would go into hiding, they would disappear. In fact all animals would be quite, no dogs would be barking. It seems like it was always windy the night before. Plus the biggest earthquakes always happened on a Sunday morning. I know random huh? But I know that something was to it, seeing how we predicted one. I know impressive.
Anyways for some reason I was thinking about it today, maybe because I wish I could predict the future right now. Wishful thinking I know, it would sure be nice though to know that we were all going to get out of this crazy recession/ depression. I have been trying hard to think positively, but am starting to doubt that we are not going to have some major trouble coming. I know think positive. I am trying.
{Cuz, I love ya!}
11 years ago



4 comments:
Thanks for sharing your earthquake experiences Nat. That was very interesting. Isn't it cool how animals have this other sense. Loved it!
Whoa! I've never been in an earthquake, nor do I hope to encounter one either. Cool that you and your sis. are earthquake predictors. Please call me anytime should you have any premonissions.
And is your story indicating that Kade's taken a hit at his job? Things ok? Hey
No things are going good with kades job, its more about the houseing markets threating everything else. we are fantastic and very lucky.
luv ya
Post a Comment