CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Twentynine Palms I feel the heat of your desert Heart!


As I was driving around this desert town today, I thought that I needed to write a Blog about this wonderful dusty town called Twenty nine...
I grew up here and other then Idaho this is what I know and love.
Now most people when they first drive over the valley and see this little tiny town can't help but think, how could anyone live out here. It is in the middle of nowhere. It is hot as Hell, no joke I remember temperatures of about 125* F in the summer months. Other then a few restaurants a lot of Barber shops, one grocery store, you get the picture. So I am going to tell you what is so great about my home town, so get ready to be thoroughly impressed.


One major influence on 29 is the marine Corp base. It is the largest in the United States. One Four star General once stated that it was the crown jewel of the United States Military. Now growing up in a military town a sense of extreme pride is stamped on your heart, You always stand for the flag, hand over heart. You have a deeper understanding of the sacrifices made on your behalf and for freedom. I remember with the gulf war half of the priesthood in our ward, including our bishop were gone. I also remember lining up by the street to welcome our troops home. It was the most wonderful experience and gave me extreme pride in my town, my Jar heads and my country.


Another really cool part about my town is that literally ten minutes away from my house is Joshua Tree National Park. World renowned rock climbing, and gorgeous desert view cover the park. Now growing up, it was not a national park yet, so we could take in all of the splender for free. There was a bit of grumpiness when we realized that we were going to half to start to pay to play in our back yard. But we got over it.


This is a Joshua Tree. Really quite funky looking things but they cover the ground like any regular forest. Plus there is the story of the Yucca Man, how he hangs from these tree's Freakin scary story, maybe I will tell you sometime.


Yet another cool feature of our town, Artists have painted beautiful murals all over the buildings in our town. This one is of the military, But there are also gorgeous paintings of desert scenes.

The sunsets are to die for, need I say more...

This is a picture of creosote bushes. I love them For two reasons: First they made the best forts when I was little. Second they have these little dry perfume balls on them and when it rains they fill the air with the most intoxicating scent, its wonderful and I really miss it.


This is the little desert Bed and Breakfast where Kade and I had our reception. It is in the middle of nowhere, so romantic.

Now one really crazy thing about 29 is that it is a magnet for the rich and famous. U2 wrote there Joshua tree album at a hotel in 29. They just stayed there and wrote. Every time I listen to that album it reminds me of home, each song is about the desert where I grew up. Also lots of movies have been made out here, print ads. You name it. The Red Hot chilly peppers filmed one of there music videos out here. ( its the one where they are painted silver.) In fact when they are jumping in the air on the video, they were jumping on Brad Halls Trampoline, A member kid.

I am so grateful for the special place that I grew up. Yeah, its little, dusty, hot, and a little bit boring some days. Sure there are earthquakes, Rattle snakes and lots of lizards. But it truly shaped me and who I was to become. Now I am going to go Arrowhead hunting. Yes, I know I'm a nerd...



3 comments:

Megan said...

29 is a magical little place isn't it? I'm so glad that I was introduced to it 15 years ago! And the winters there are amazing! We went down a couple of years ago in Novemeber and I didn't want to come back home to the terrible snow. Enjoy yourself down there!

Jen Gillespie said...

Sounds fabulous Nat. If you had left the stuff out about the snakes and lizards than I definitely would have put it on my list of places to visit. The B&B sounds really cute though. And I am so amazed that there are still arrowheads to find. Hey, tell Harper happy b-day for me! What a big man.

cort said...

it's really weird that we all love the place that we grew up and other people wonder what is so great about it. I always thought people were weird that didn't like Rexburg because it is the coolest place in the world. After i left I realized that it really isn't the greatest place.....but it is because there are so many memories there. Any ol' who, I know what you are talking about.